Question
Posted by: Woef | 2010-09-01

Flea allergy

My Maltese-X is on Program and hence haven''t had any fleas in a very long time. We went away this past weekend and she had to stay at family whose dog has a lot of fleas. Unfortunately she got bitten quite a bit. We got rid of all the fleas and bathed her with some kind of oatmeal shampoo that is suppose to help dogs with itchiy skin, but she is still scratching herself raw. Is there anything I can give her?

I have phoned the vet for advice, but they don''t want to give me any unless I bring her in for a consultation which I really can''t afford right now.

I was told that you can give Allergex to dogs. Is that true? And if yes, how much?

Advice will be apprecaited.

Thanx!!

Hi Woef

You can give allergex (Chlorpheniramine) at a dose of 4mg every 8-12 hrs. This may or may not work. Please note that your pet may get drowsy and that diarrhoea, vomiting and anorexia can sometimes arise.

The ideal treatment at this stage is to continue with an oatmeal animal shampoo.

If the condition continues then you willhave to visit the vet to get a cortisone injection to calm the skin. Alternatively get some prednisolone and dose at 1mg/kg ody weight for 2-3 days

1
Posted by: CyberVet | 2010-09-01

Hi Woef

Reply to CyberVet