Question
Posted by: Lua | 2011/05/31

Flatulence

hi there,

Can stress/anxiety cause a lot of flatulence.

I have been for a gastroscopy and apart from a lazy stomach valve nothing else is wrong.

I am on my period now and have some lower abdominal pain. But I find as soon as I start stressing about things I fart like crazy. Not loud ones but just air...

What is up with this?

Yes it can, though maybe more often caused by one's reaction to certain foods. Is this entirely new ( or has it been happening for years ? ) Stress can cause various varieties of muscle tensions, and that may make you a bit more likely to expel air ( and some counselling to reduce the stresing could help ). But Stress won't lead you to produce more air to expel. That tends to be related more to diet.
At the other end, air that one burps is usually just air one swallowed, and a behavioural psychologist cam help you to learn to stop swallowing ir and to stop burping ( which can become a nervous habit ).

4
Posted by: Laura | 2011/06/01

i have that problems, since i gained weight. i am trying to eat more veg and salads and it helps. Al so buy probiotics at Dischem strain no. 4 for bloated, gassiness etc.

Reply to Laura
Posted by: Hestia | 2011/05/31

Hi. Just check what you eat too. I notice that if I eat things like french fries it becomes a problem. And it is normally something I would eat when I am borred, upset or stressed. Also prevent eating gum. It also makes you swollow air

Reply to Hestia
Posted by: Lua | 2011/05/31

Hi there.

Yes i have never had it in my life. It started when I started stressing about my health. And sometimes it gets better and sometimes it is worse.

Reply to Lua