3 out of 5 in my family suffer from flatulence my son is 17 daughter 12 i am 50. it must be what we eat. I would also like to have more protein and less carbs to keep my weight in check. have you got a deit to assist

Dear Anonymous
Your family may have a genetic tendency to produce more gas or be susceptible to irritable bowel disease or suffer from a lactose or milk protein allergy, etc. I would recommend that you all 3 have medical checkups and mention to the dr that you all suffer from flatulence. If we can find out what is causing the gas, I can make recommendations regarding the dietary treatment of your family. Cutting out carbs is not sensible when you want to lose weight seeing that carbs only contain 16 kJ per gram, while fat provides 37 kJ per gram. To lose weight you need to basically change your lifestyle. Reduce your energy intake by eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increasing your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life). While you are on the ‘Weight loss’ site, read about every aspect of slimming (the dangers of diet pills, slimming aids, psychological aspects of slimming, etc) by surfing on this site. Also click on 'Food as medicine' and 'Healthy colon' to read about healthy colon practices that could diminish your flatulence.