Posted by: Michele | 2009-03-31

My husband has been taking a 20mg capsule of Omeprazol daily for the last 3 years or so as prescribed by a gastroentorologist who diagnosed duodenal ulcers at the time and had done a dilatation of his pylori 2years after the surgeon had made it too narrow when he operated on his hiatus hernia.A recent gastroscopy &  biopsies showed there is no ulcers, no wheat allergy except he has a small diverticulum just above the epiglotis. Biopsies done when he had a colonoscopy also showed all was normal.He has stopped taking medication for 6 weeks now. He has a problem with flatulence although he avoids foods that are prone to causing it.Sometimes he feels nauseous but after he has burped (it smells like sulphur) he feels better. He has lost about 6kgs and drinks Ensure between meals but has not yet gained. What could be causing the flatulence and what should he take for it? He has an appointment in 2 weeks'  time with the gastroentorologist.

Dear Michele
I am sorry to hear about your husband's problems. I do think that he must see the gastroenterologist so that the dr can decide what treatment is required. From what you say, your husband may suffer from gastro-oesophageal reflux disease (in other words stomach acid tends to push up into the oesophagus), possibly as a result of narrowing of the tube. In such cases it is important that he receives the correct treatment (continued Omeprazol and/or antacids such as Ulsanic, etc) and also makes changes to his diet. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page to access the 'Diet section of the Health24 site' and then on 'DietDoc's articles' and read article 195 on 'GASTRO-OESOPHAGEAL REFLUX DISEASE (GORD) & DIET'. In general here are some pointers regarding excess acid production: Heartburn, acid reflux and also stomach ulcers, are caused by excess acid production in the stomach and if the patient has food in the stomach this give the acid something it can work on instead of attacking the stomach lining. In fact, the use of 6 smaller meals a day is a good idea when suffering from heartburn or ulcers because this would mean that the patient practically always has some food in his stomach to prevent acid erosion. He should split up his main meals into 2 smaller meals each. One of the most important factors in excess acid production and heartburn is stress. If your hubby suffers from heartburn, you will have to experiment with the foods he eats that may cause problems (raw onions, garlic, cucumber, green peppers, very spicy foods and condiments, gas-cold drinks, very fatty foods, etc and all alcohol). This is often an individual reaction and he will have to keep a food diary to see what foods cause this problem and then cut them out. If he finds that this is too difficult, then please consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), who will help him pinpoint trigger foods and work out a diet that avoids them. To relieve stress I would recommend that your husband should learn relaxing techniques, how to do deep breathing exercises and some form of physical exercise which is also relaxing, such as yoga. Going for brisk walks in the fresh air also helps to relieve tension.