Posted by: Shy | 2009-01-30

I hope you can help me its kind of embarrassing. I been eating healthily for just over a month and am happy with the weight loss. I find I am experiencing a lot more flatulence now though. i eat a lot more salads than i used to. what causes this? its very embarrassing.

Dear Shy
It is possible that you are reacting to the increase in dietary fibre in your healthy diet - do you also eat high-bran cereals and wholewheat bread, etc? If this is the case, then it may be an idea to reduce the amount of dietary fibre a bit and gradually introduce it over a longer period. People often make the mistake of changing from a low- to a high-fibre diet within a few days and then suffer from abdominal cramps and flatulence. If you introduce he fibre more slowly over a few weeks instead of days your digestive system has a chance to adapt to this change and you will be less windy. You can also use probiotics or 'good' microorganisms like Bifidoforte or Intestiflora to help your digestive tract cope with the higher fibre intake.