Question
Posted by: Nic | 2010/05/20

Flat stomach

I have a tried everything to get a six pack but all I get is a buldged belly. I only have about a cm thick layer of fat over my abs yet I can see no six pack. I can see the two strings of the rectus abdominus but not the blocks. It seems that my abs are getting bigger like other mucscles. What do I need to do to get a flat six pack abs. Do I need to do my reps faster or slower, or should I exercise more often or ad more resistance. Please help.

Thanx

Nic

HI Nic

More reps helps a little with toning and definition, which it sounds like you need. Also, if you do a lot of quite static exercise you don't see the same kind of definition as more dynamic exercise provides. This is why elite athletes develop such ripped abs - they first of all have little body fat, and second, they do a lot of functional work. Sit-ups are all good and well, but things like medicine ball throws and catches, rotations etc help a lot.

I also think you may need more cardio work, particularly to burn fat. The flat six pack requires fat loss, and that requires cardio, so I think you can shift the balance that way.

2
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/05/25

HI Nic

Reply to fitnessdoc
Posted by: Angel | 2010/05/23

Hi Nic. I am not a doc but I am a Personal trainer and spend lots of time in the gym. From personal experience, all bodybuilding/muscle training, but especially abs, are 75% diet, 25% exercise.

You can do as many exercise as you want for your abs, if your diet isn''t clean, it won''t show. You know the saying, muscles are build in the kitchen. You need to follow a clean diet. With clean, I mean high-protein, fibrous carbs and healthy fats. Also, you need to measure the amount of what you eat, based on your BMR (Basal metabolic rate). Dont just throw a number at it.

Secondly, with regards to exercise. Our bodies are made to adapt. We adapt to an exercise, and after a while, your muscles are not challenged by it anymore. Therefore, make sure to adapt your exercise regularly to keep on challenging your abs. If you have been building the muscle, and just can''t see definition due to the extra body fat on your stomach, then eating clean will soon assist with loosing the fat, and you will see the muscles appear.

Just my 2c worth.

Good luck.

Reply to Angel