Question
Posted by: Feet | 2011/01/10

Flat feet

Dr Doc

I am 25yrs old and have inherited flat feet from my grandmother. I do not suffer too much with them at the moment, but my grandmother has experienced many problems with her feet. She also has bunions, which I am very concerned about getting as well. Please advise as to how I can build an arch for my feet - when I wear shoes which have a built-in arch (like my running shoes), they hurt my feet. I also suffer from shin splints when doing high impact sports (such as running, skipping or tae bo) does this have anything to do with my feet having no arch?

Thank you!

Hallo Feet
Flat feet is often a hereditary family trait, but can be caused in adults due to overweight or wearing restrictive and very high heeled shoes. It is important that the small muscles in your feet get enough exercise to pull the arch upwards, so wearing flip flops where you have to use the foot muscles to keep the shoe on your foot is actually good for the feet. You can also do exercises like rolling a tennisball with your foot while watching TV or putting a towel on the floor and pulling it together with your toes. See
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_sCYwXaoRc
Walk barefoot as much as you can, avoid sharp pointed shoes or very high heels.
Shin splints are caused to by too much exercise too fast and not by the flat feet. Shin splints seem to result from inflammation due to injury of a tendon (posterior peroneal tendon) and adjacent tissues in the front of the outer leg. You can prevent it by stretching before exercising,wearing the right shoes for the exercise and not increasing your exercise levels too fast.

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2011/01/10

Hallo Feet