Question
Posted by: Phil Maginn | 2010/03/09

Flashbacks

On April 3rd 1978 I found my father''s body after he committed suicide. I was 5 at the time. I am now 37 and have a flashback of that day running in my minds eye anytime I am trying to relax or sleep. I do have counselling on a regular basis, but instead of the flashback fading it seems to be getting more frequent. Should I visit my doctor and see what he suggests?

Interesting question, Phil, especally as I have had a long interest in the effects of severe trauma. IS this flashback the ONLY symptom you have relating in any way to the trauma ? ( as you say youre having counselling on a regular basis, I assume there are some other problems, also ? )
Depending on where you currently live, it would be best to consult directly a shrink with a particular interest in, and experience of, trauma. In the UK there are quite a few, in SA rather fewer. If there are other symptoms, this could represent the most noticeable feature of PTSD, which seems to respond well to CBT counselling and to selective use of some meds like SSRI's.
Presumably you have discussed this with your current counsellor ? If he/she's not using CBT, they may not be using proven modern methods, and a different approach might be more successful. When you speak of "should I visit my doctor?" it suggests a non-psych doctor, and thus a question of using meds. I pioneered the use of SSRI antidepressants at a time when no other intervention seemed particularly useful, and showed them to be really helpful. Since then, with the introduction of CBT, EMDR and other methods, there are other options, and also the sense fo comining som e of these modalities.

2
Posted by: Phil Maginn | 2010/03/10

My mum and the rest of the family thought they were protecting me, by lying to me about my dad until I reached adulthood. Then after consulting with our local vicar my mum sat me down and told me the truth. My trust in people is now rock bottom and I make friends through friends who have gained my trust and I know aren''t going to hurt me. I currently take anti depressants and every so often have a rather bad day, whether I take them or not. I have also been suicidal. I try to self analyse my problems, but if there is a treatable way of stopping the flashbacks I would take it. I drives me mad and I have to keep my mind fixed on a subject just to get some respite. I live in the UK.

Reply to Phil Maginn