Posted by: Ruby | 2009-01-08

Flank and groin pain?

Hello Dr Bets!
I dont feel so well today anymore... I woke up with severe flank pain on my left side. This moves down to around the area of my hip - also in the back, also left side. I also get pain on the same area around my hip on the right side. Also groin pain on the left and right side, but more on the left side. Its not constant and it moves, sometimes in the flank, sometimes in the groin and sometimes in between. It also goes away completely at times. I also had some lower abdominal pain - this was also very painfull, but it went away after a few minutes. I have very light period like cramps. Muscle pain in my legs is back. Dr is this serious? I am a bit worried about it... Can this wait till Monday? Thanks so much for your help :-) Ruby

Hi Ruby
If you don't have fever or burning urine, drink a bit more water than usual, it may be a small kidney stone that you can flush out.

Posted by: Mathew | 2009-03-08

For months I have had severe pain in my right groin so much so that I cannot walk very far without extreme discomfort. I have seen a Vascular Surgeon who said it is not vascular and who has refered me to a Spine Specialist. The hip doctor said it could be Osteo arthritis on the other hand it was suggested that I go for a Spine operation/Hip replacement. I might add that it was mentioned that I am a bad risk for anaesthetic as I have a heart condition and a pacemaker. I seem to be living on painkillers which do not take any effect anymore. What do I do?

Reply to Mathew