Question
Posted by: Wendy | 2010-10-27

Flabby tummy after baby

Is it true that your tummy will never be flat again after you''ve had a c-section? I''ve lost 11kg since the birth of my baby, but my tummy stays flabby...Will exercise be able to get it toned again? I haven''t done any as I thought losing weight will help...apparently not!! :-)

Dear Wendy
Congratulations on the birth of your baby and on losing those 11 kg. Your are a **star**! Both the Caesarian section for the delivery of your baby and the skin stretching action of the pregnancy, may have caused the muscles of your tummy to lose their tone. Do try doing targeted exercises like situps to see if you can help the muscles tighten up again (ask Fitness Doc for a set of exercises that tighten the tummy muscles). This can be a long process, so give it time. However, if after 6 months of regular daily tummy exercises, your tummy is still wobbly, then you may have to consult a plastic surgeon in regard to a tummy tuck. It is, however not a good idea to have a tummy tuck until you have had all the babies you plan to have.
I hope you can regain muscle tone on your tummy.

2
Posted by: Mum of 2 | 2010-10-29

Hi Wendy
Congrates on losing 11kg without exercise - wish I had it so easy after the birth of my son. I was 81kg after my son and had to diet and do tae-bo to lose the baby weight which helped and I lost a total of 16kg in the first year (but not the tummy). Not that I want to lose weight but every lady colleague in our office is on a diet and exercise program so to help motivate them and not feel like the odd one out, I joined which also helped motivate myself. Surprise, surprise I lost 3kg in a month and my tummy is not totally flat but the flab is gone just by following a exercise program of which I do cardio (stationery bike). This is so much fun then I end up watching teletubbies with my son on tv while getting a 30min, 6xweek cardio workout. Also following a portion diet with lots of fresh fruit and veggies benefits my son for his growing needs. He loves it by the way. I dont loose out on any precious moments with my son (by going to the gym) and eating healthy benefits both him and myself.

Dont give in to a tummy tuck, natural is whats best.

Good Luck

Reply to Mum of 2
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-10-27

Dear Wendy