Posted by: Martin | 2008-11-11

Flab at stomach

Dear Diet Doc

I am a skinny guy, 1.89 tall and weight is 82.5kg. I resently started exercising twice daily, cardio in morning and weight training in afternoon/ evening. I' ve got a little bit of fat around my stomach which I want to loose. I have cut out sugar, starch, salt and dairy for two weeks.Wiil I eventually loose it as my muscles grow or what else can I try?

Regards Martin

Dear Martin
Your present BMI = 23,1 which is excellent and indicates that you do not need to actually lose weight. Exercise should help to reduce the little bit of fat on your stomach esp if you concentrate on doing exercises that target the stomach muscles (e.g. situps). You can ask Fitness Doc for additional exercises that will assist with firming up your stomach. I don't understand why you are cutting out dairy products and carbohydrates - the former are among the best sources of protein and calcium in the diet and carbs are essential for energy if you are doing such a lot of exercise. By all means reduce your salt intake which is a healthy thing to do. Keep up your exercise programme and remember it takes time for muscles to tighten up and to develop.