Question
Posted by: PuddyTat | 2008/09/25

Fixing my male kitty

I am having my boy fixed tomorrow and I was wondering about the risks involved. I hand reared him from birth and I love him to death, It would kill me to lose him.

If the risk is too high I would rather not fix him.

Dear PuddyTat

Very small surgery risk but normal anaesthetic risk. Very quick operation, usually straight forward.

3
Posted by: jax | 2008/09/25

Seriously, Puddy....the surgery for your boy is minimal. The vets keep the anaesthesia as minimal as possible, it' s one small cut and out pop the valuables, they get ' pickpocketed'  (as my vet calls it!) a couple of dissolvable stitches and ten mins later the boy is wondering what happened and looking for his very late breakfast.
When you compare it to the endless risks of not doing it - the going out to fight, roaming in the street etc, you are really doing him a good turn by letting him have the op.

Reply to jax
Posted by: Chill | 2008/09/25

The risks are minimal.

No, it wouldn' t ' kill you to lose him'  - don' t overdramatise! Sure, it would be awful, but you would survive.

Nobody likes taking their pets for surgery - not even hard-headed me. But let common sense prevail - by this time tomorrow, it' s all over and done, and both of you will still be alive.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Mandi | 2008/09/25

Hi PuddyTat,

The problems of NOT having him neutered far outweigh the risks of anaesthesia.
If you don' t have him neutered, then you can look forward to the following:
Fighting, him spraying in the house, other cats spraying in your house, abbesses due to fighting, possible cancer, not to mention hundreds of unwanted kittens in the neighbourhood which he fathered.

If he is fit and healthy then you have nothing to worry about. When you fetch him from the vet, he might still be a bit wobbly and groggy, but after a couple of hours you wouldn' t even know that he had surgery.

Have a nice treat ready for him (if only to make yourself feel better). Good luck!

Reply to Mandi