Question
Posted by: Stryder | 2010-01-20

Fits and putting down our dog

Ozzy our 14 year old Jack rustle has been having small ‘ fits’  for the last year. He would cough a bit then fall over dazed and then would jump up okay. We took him to the Vet and he could not find anything wrong. One Saturday before chistmas he started having horrible fits every hour. His body would convulse, his face pulled and he would drool terribly. After every fit he would just walk and walk and walk like he could not stop. He was walking into walls, was not able to get up stairs it was awful. We raced him to the Vet that evening and the Vet said we could either do a blood test to find out what type of epilepsy it was or because he was so old put him on medication for a week or see what happens.

My mom then asked that dreaded question, is he not too old to be suffering such awful fits so regularly. To which the Vet agreed with her. She then asked that is it not the better to rather to put him down. To which the Vet replied “ it is the most unselfish thing we can do for him” . So we decided to go for it. Unfortunately he reacted so badly when the Vet gave him the injection (he yelped and pulled away) that it has left us with nightmares and what ifs. Did we do the right thing (Yes I know this is too late to ask) and do dogs react like that when they get THE injection.

Dear Stryder

Some dogs do unfortunately pull the needle out and then you end up with a very unfortunate situation. At 14 years of age epilepsy is probably because of a brain tumour so you did the right thing.

3
Posted by: Cybervet | 2010-01-21

Dear Stryder

Reply to Cybervet
Posted by: Chill | 2010-01-20

I agree with Steph. It' s senseless berating yourself when in fact you did the kindest and most unselfish thing you could. Your dog is at peace now, and you should be grateful for that.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: steph | 2010-01-20

stryder, i can imagine that this was a really difficult decision to make. Just try to bear in mind that his quality of life was poor at that stage and not a good one for him. I am sure he would have reacted the same way if the needle that the vet used was just to draw blood for the blood tests. Try to remember the good things about your little dog and know that you had his best interests at heart.

Reply to steph