Question

Fitness&  RA

I' m 26 years old and am arthritic. I have recently started walking and going to gym. Both activities I' m enjoying, is this kind of exercise ok for me?

First, a disclaimer, which is that the best thing in a case like this is to get a programme prescribed, rather than simply to get a generic programme. But some tips and recommendations are generic, and are explained below:

First of all, exercise is good for people with arthritis. Studies have shown that exercise helps people with arthritis in many ways. Exercise reduces joint pain and stiffness and increases flexibility, muscle strength, cardiac fitness, and endurance. It also helps with weight reduction and contributes to an improved sense of well-being.

Three types of exercise are best for people with arthritis:

* Range-of-motion exercises (e.g., dance) help maintain normal joint movement and relieve stiffness. This type of exercise helps maintain or increase flexibility.

* Strengthening exercises (e.g., weight training) help keep or increase muscle strength. Strong muscles help support and protect joints affected by arthritis.

* Aerobic or endurance exercises (e.g., bicycle riding) improve cardiovascular fitness, help control weight, and improve overall function. Weight control can be important to people who have arthritis because extra weight puts extra pressure on many joints. Some studies show that aerobic exercise can reduce inflammation in some joints.

I think the fact that you are enjoying this and not experiencing symptoms is a great sign. It says that you're doing the right level of training, so don't change it. Just keep going, monitor yourself and see what develops over time.