Question
Posted by: ZP | 2010-03-31

Fitness, weight &  diet

I have always had a problem with picking up weight in winter as I only play summer sports. However, I have started afresh &  am now trying to run for at least 30 mins every week morning before (breakfast, work,etc). Currently, I only manage about 2km''''s before I become exhausted... but i guess we all have to start somewhere.

My aim is to lose weight, as well as to build my fitness level and although I have only recently started find that I have some great days &  then some really poor days. My question is more regarding what foods I should eat/avoid &  when I should eat it (in relation to my "  training"  program) in order to achieve these goals. For example is it wise not to eat before I run &  /or for 30mins thereafter?

HI ZP

Just keep at it, because you're on the right track and as you say, you have to start somewhere!

The inconsistency will go away eventually. It's like that early, but as you get fitter, you start to get on top of training and control it better. I don't know exactly why that is, but it happens.

Regarding the eating, I'd say to eat at least 60 minutes before training and that should be a light meal (sandwich, at most, maybe some fruit). Any closer than this can start to intefere with the training you do. Afterwards, I'd eat soon as possible, within reason. You might be traveling or heading directly to work, in which case you can eat when you get there. But something small again would be fine. The best is to aim for 5 or 6 small meals a day, rather than 3 big ones.