Question
Posted by: Karmen | 2011-04-14

Fitness q

Hi Doc, hope you are well. Two Questions:

1) Should one eat before exercising or after? To be more specific, should I have my lunch before I go for my lunchtime walk or after (lunch is usually a sandwich or leftovers).
2) I am currently walking for nearly two hours a day (20 minutes in the morning, 50 minutes at lunch, 20 minutes after work, 10 minute walk with my puppy in the evening). I am not losing weight, nor am I gaining, but I am gaining centimetres. I have a very sedentary job (hence why I walk to work, during lunch and home). I eat right, I think (4 –  5 times a day, cereal, yoghurt/ fruit, lunch, yoghurt/ fruit, supper cooked with little, if any, oil, lots of white meat and veggies). What else can I do to stop the centimetres? I know if I am gaining centimetres I will start gaining weight.

Thanks,

Expert ImageNatural health

hi

For weight loss you should be exercising more in the aerobic zone - meaning a jog and continuously for 45 min 6 days a week. walking is good but you do not get into your fat burn zone. if you want to loose weight you do not want to eat before you exercise. you can eat afterwards but not high GI foods. You might have an underlying condition like sluggish thyroid, insulin resistance - so best to consult with a practitioner to get to the cause.

Kind regards
Dr Debbie
www.drdebbie.co.za