Posted by: Mel | 2009-03-24

fitness programme

My son is 24 - he played a lot of sport at school i..e rugby, cricket, golf and also did amateur wrestling. He has not done any form of exercise or fitness since leaving school. He has recently started a vigorous training programme which includes skipping (stopped this now) running and then exercises like pushups etc

He is experiencing terrible pain in his knees - can you perhaps give a reason why this could be??

Just to give you a health background - there is a family history of arthritis and my son had perthes disease as a child from which he recovered and the DR did say he could do sport. He does sometimes experience pain in his hip though.

Hi Mel

It could be any one of a dozen things. The knee is complex, and injuries can be caused by many different things. I suspect that given that he's just started training, his likely cause is overdoing it. That happens often - joints and muscles that are unaccustomed to training are suddenly asked to contract and take body weight thousands of times and they get injured as a result.

My advice is that he reduces the training volume by about 50%, just for a week, and see how that goes. It may be all it takes. Then build up by 15% per week from there. But to go from zero to vigourous is bound to cause some problems, so I suspect this is all it is.