Question
Posted by: Lauren | 2008/08/18

Fitness plan

I am 25 female. I weigh approx 54 and am 155cm. I train 6 times a week, and play hockey. Can you let me know how best to utilise my training sessions. For e.g. 2 weight sessions and 6 cardio? What do you think will work best? My goal is to lose 3-6kgs, as I have a fair amount of fat around my waist and lower belly that i am desperate to lose

thanks in advance
Lauren

HI Lauren

I think that you need to look at the schedule and see what is most inflexible about it - probably your hockey. Then, plan around this. So for example, if you play on Tues and thurs, then it makes sense to do the weight training on Monday and Wednesday, so that you don't overly fatigue the muscles on the same day as hockey. The cardio can be done on the other days, with possible double training on the hockey days. You just have to be carefula bout training twice a day, just because of the demand that places on the body, and the chances that you might not recovery well between training sessions.

So the danger spots are those Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday sessions, because you might well be getting to Friday with very tired legs. So consider maybe resting on Friday, or even on Wednesday (according to my scenario, that is).

I certainly agree that your major focus should be on cardio, at least for a while, and the weight training can be done around this.