Posted by: Talita | 2009-04-03

Fitness level - to reach my goal

I used to be fit enough to run 6km non stop in the up and down area of Pietermaritzburg about 2, 3 years ago. Now I study in Potchefstroom and can run about 1.5km then I' m dead. How long will it take to reach the fitness of running 10km non stop, and how far must I try run everyday to get to that level? I run with Nike Womens Running takkies. I am a 19 year old girl. Must I streach before and afterwards?

Hi Talita

I think a month or so should do it, depending. The problem in Potch is partly training and also the altitude makes it a little more difficult than you might remember.

I'd say that instead of just running 1.5km before you "die", you should rather break it down and say that you're doing 30 minutes in total, but that you'll walk before you're forced to. So for example, walk 4 minutes, jog 3 minutes, and repeat four times. That's 28 minutes, with a total of 12 minutes running, which is 2km and more than you're doing now.

Then, week by week, increase the jog part and decrease the walk bit. So go 3 walk, 4 jog, then 3 and 5, then 2 and 5 and so on. Eventually you'll be doing maybe 15 minutes of jogging with a short walk and by then, you might well be able to push on to a solid 30 minutes,or 6km.

I wouldn't run every day, maybe 4 days a week to begin with and see how it goes. Just be consistent and patient. Slow down if you need to, no need to run fast just yet!

Posted by: Talita | 2009-04-04

Oh, and is first thing in the morning the best time to go for weight loss? I used to drink a cup of green tea before I went for my run

Reply to Talita