Question
Posted by: Linda | 2010-08-27

fitness goals

Hi Doc, I have gained 3kg over the last 6 weeks and now have set goals for myself on Discovery Vitality to exercise more at the gym, but don''t quite understand how it works.Vitality gave me 83 days from today to get a healthy body mass index, mine is now 26.6 and my weight now is 76.5. On vitality, they only say I have 83 days to get physically active, what does that mean, because there is now weight to work towards. If you know how vitality works please tell me what level 2 is that I must reach in the vitality fitness assessment. Is it wise to exercise everyday at the gym if you''re unfit or should I do it 3times/wk. My lenght is 1.65 and am 42years old. Please recommend a programme that I can follow for 15-20minutes at a time. Thank you.

hi Linda

I'm not 100% sure about the Vitality scheme. I guess the 83 days applies to your next test, and assuming you can meet certain targets, then you earn points on Vitality. But I'm not the person to ask about how those points are allocated. I assume there are some points for improvement (as in, you get your BMI down below 26.6), and you get even more points if you get it below 25, which is kind of the accepted level of BMI. So that means losing maybe 3 or 4 kg, which is doable if you start training now. Three months and you can do that.

I don't know about Level 2 - those levels, as far as I recall, are based on your heart rate during the fitness/step test, and so that just means you have to get fitter.

So regardless of the target, your objective now is to get fitter. And so a programme, and try to focus day by day, not necessarily on the end point. The journey, in other words. And for a programme, I'd check out this page:
http://www.health24.com/fitness/Programmes/16-1347.asp

And pick the one that you'll enjoy. If you enjoy it, then you'll do it, and that's the most important thing of all. So whether it's running, or cycling, or gym, as long as you enjoy it, it'll have an effect.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010-08-30

hi Linda

Reply to fitnessdoc