Question
Posted by: PVS | 2010-10-29

@FItness doc.

Good day Doc.

You previously stated my comment as incorrect as to that 20 min of normal cardio(not H.I.I.T) burns more fat than a Hour session of weight training??? First I would like to ask as to where you got this information and where you studied.
As far as I recall in my student years that weight training uses more ATP(also known as energy) than cardio( normal cardio and not H.I.I.T).

HI PVS

This is well known, because energy use is directly proportional to oxygen consumption. And a number of studies have quantified oxygen consumption during different types of training. Cardio training is almost always above weight training, usually because the whole body exercise requires more muscle mass (and hence more oxygen) than single muscle weight training. That's not to say that weight training has no place, and very high intensity weight training is metabolically demanding too, but the context is energy use, and there is no doubt at all that cardio exceeds weight work in this regard.

The table of caloric equivalents makes this pretty clear, because it shows the energy used per liter of oxygen at a range of different intensities, and if you play around with this, you'll find that an average cardio session will burn around 12 to 15 kCal per minute. High intensity cardio (like elite marathon runner level) burns 20 to 25 kCal per minute. Weight training rarely exceeds 12 kCal per minute.

Re my studies, Cape Town - biochemistry and physiology, then a PhD in Exercise Physiology, also Cape Town. Not that this is overly relevant as to WHERE I studied. I think someone else brought this up?

Ross