Question
Posted by: Gogga | 2008/10/28

fitness boxing

Doc, you said one should find an exercise that' s enjoyable. I think I have and it' s an unlikely one for my age and gender - hitting a punchbag.
What I want to know is, is it okay to just keep on hitting it until I' m exhausted or should I learn proper technique? It would be too embarrassing for me to go to a boxer' s gym and ask for training! I also don' t think I can hit hard enough to damage my hands or anything...
Can you perhaps recommend a book or DVD on the topic? I' ve looked on Kalahari net but it' s either martial arts type stuff or aerobics, not basic technique how to hit properly or a workout programme.

Hi Gogga

I'm glad you found an exercise that inspires. You're right, I do say it's important, because enjoyment is the only thing that really motivates you to train as often as is recommended.

I think the technique is "relatively" minor in this case, because unless you're looking to become a top quality boxer, I think technique takes on a different meaning. For you, in your situation, the most important thing is to avoid injury, and that may have implicatiosn for your technique. But I don't think that details like elbow position, feet, head etc. are going to swing it for your progress.

Where I do think you might benefit is from a methodical approach to it - you can't just hit til exhaustion because eventually, that would become routine, mentally and physically. So a programme is more important than the technique, which will be refined through practice anyway.

As for that programme, I'm a bit at a loss to suggest a book or DVD. You might be able to adapt a book to boxing, but otherwise just think methodically about how you put that session together. For example, you might break your session into 5 minute intervals, where you focus on one thing at a time. First five minute warmup with some light punching. Then move onto punching with your right hand (and here, you can focus a little bit on your techique, by concentrating on your balance and getting the punch targeted right - there's not a great deal that goes into it, most people can punch, without training). Then go left hand focus, then maybe 5 minutes of speed punching, where your focus for example is to "dance" around the punchbag and concentrate on light punches and light footwork. THat's an example of how you can put it together - but you should use your imagination and play around with the session. Make it part of your enjoyment to "play".