Posted by: NicN | 2009-05-04

Fitness and metabolism

Hi Doc,

I always thought that you have to do cardio exercises at a moderate intensity (able to have converstation) for 60min. to loose weight. I recently saw a few articles on the internet that states that you have to do interval training at a high intensity because you burn more fat after the workout is done. You use your fat to restore equilibrium in your body. And is it true that you have a higher metabolism if you are fitter.

Dear NicN
All exercise is beneficial to promote weightloss and improve general fitness and tighten up slack muscles. However, doing intensive or strenuous exercise does burn more kJ and it also increases your basic metabolic rate (BMS = the amount of energy required for your body processes like breathing, digestion, etc, when you are not exercising) for at least 24 hours after an active session. So it is not just the amount of energy you use up during the session, but also the overall effect on your metabolism that will play a role. It is indeed true that individuals who are fitter and leaner have more lean muscle tissue in their bodies which also pushes up their BMS and thus burns more energy.