Posted by: gerrie vorster | 2009-04-08

fitness and alcohol

Hi, started with regular exercise now for about 3 weeks. I used to enjoy my glass of red wine. But now on two occaions (few days apart) it affected me in a bad way. I don' t understand, because this never happend before? It' s it because I' m starting to get more fit? I' ve decided not to drink anymore until I know more. What else can it be?

Hi Gerrie

Might be related. I haven't heard of this, and I certainly wouldn't be able to tell you the mechanism. Presumably there are metabolic responses as a result of exercise that might affect how your body processes alcohol, that is the only thing I can suggest or think of. However, I don't know specifically what it might be. One thing is that you might be drinking the wine soon after your training, when your body fluid levels might be a little lower than usual? Perhaps you need to just rehydrate after the training and it will be fine.

Sorry for the speculation, but that's all I have!