Question
Posted by: Terri | 2010/02/10

Fitness &  picking up weight

Hi, I am 25 years old and weigh 43 kg. I have always been underweight. I love being fit and active and really want to get fitter without losing weight or cm of my chest (I am 32 A/B). I have recently upped my physical activity by doing the following in a week: 30 min light ballroom dancing, 1 h pilates, 30 min gym circuit (without stepping in between), 30 min light swimming, I am also learning to surf and spend about 2 hours in the ocean. I broke my ankle in September last year, and therefore am not doing any high impact activities such as using the stepper or treadmill or doing any running. I have started taking Ensure one a day (replacing the water with milk). I feel mine is a tricky complicated case. Can you please help with some advise? My goals are: be fit, build muscle, gain some weight and not lose cm off my chest.

Hi Terri

I think fitness wise, you're on the right track. The one thing I would suggest is a goal for your non-surfing activities. Maybe to run a 5k or 10k, something tangible. The only reason I suggest this is that sometimes it's difficult to know what "be fit" means exactly, and if you can say to yourself that you want to be fit enough to run 10km or to swim 3 km, then you have a target.

In terms of weight, I think the issue is diet more than exercise, and I'd suggest you see a dietician about it. What you put in is going to determine the outcome of your training and so this is really important. It may be that you need to change the content of your meals, or the amount, or the timing, or all three, but these are nuances that you need to discuss with someone. So I'd make it a priority to discuss with a dietician your preferences and targets.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/02/19

Hi Terri

Reply to fitnessdoc