Posted by: brigitte | 2012-02-20

Do you have any suggestions of some exercise to do in order to loose weight when you have an under active thyroid. I''ve been using my medication but am stuck with the weight I gained . My doctor told me to loose atleast 10kg for me to be at an healthy weight. I am currently at 75kg and my height is 1.56 .

Hi Brigitte

They'd be pretty much the same exercises as for anyone else, the difference being that they may not be as effective because of this separate issue of the thyroid, and also that you'd have to be a little more conservative about how you put the training together, because you may feel a little tired and flat as a result of it.

But the training is the same - cardio training, including walking, jogging, cycling, perhaps aerobics, depending on what you have access to.

In terms of a programme, my advice would be to check out the programmes on the Health 24 fitness page.

Click on "Fitness", then on 'Programmes' and choose one of these training programmes. My advice would be to choose the walking or running programmes (the first or second one) and then go for them. Also look through the Fitness section, because there is a loads of useful information there that will help you. Bascially, what you need to aim for regular exercise, and be consistent.

The other thing is diet - this is particularly important in your case, because you have to keep the energy levels up and lose weight, which is a tricky balance, and so I really do think it's worth the time and money to see a dietician and have them guide you on this. In fact, I'd say that early on, the diet is going to be more important for weight loss than the exercise, so this may be a priority.