Posted by: Kasandra | 2009-03-19

Hi there i was very fit and healthy then i had a break through bleed which lasted a month i had pain and was on different medication. My hormones not 100% yet and tired still. I do want to get back to gym and eat more and right. Taking multi vitamin but struggle to eat protein. How do i get my energy and fitness back I need Energy but dont want to take supplements any ideas? Breakfast tasty wheat and oats snacks rusk or crackers with peanut butter lunch roll with cucumber, tomato, turky roll or egg and dinner veg or salad.

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Hi Kasandra

Sorry to hear that you are not well!
Low energy can have many origins, but if you are sure that it is because you are not eating sufficiently don’t worry if you are not eating a lot of protein – just as long as you get enough calories to sustain you, you will be fine. That means you can get them from better carbs like legumes, barley, chickpeas, rice & quinoa – these contain quite a bit of protein themselves. In any way you can get away with as little as 0, 8-1 g protein per kilogram of body weight and you can even obtain that from legumes + rice and vegetables – that’s what vegetarians do.

Hormonal problems are often situated in incorrect nutrition and specifically have to do with your fat intake .20% of your calories should be consumed as fat at 2/3rds thereof as good fats (olives, olive oil, seeds, nuts, hemp oil & linseed oil) – I think this is where your problem is locked into. And don’t expect a difference before at least 3 months of correcting your fat intake. Don’t forget to take 2-3 1000mg fish oil capsules as well daily.

Lastly, fitness is lost very easily and hard to get back! The only way to do that is to continuously exercise, however I think it is more important to get yourself healthy and then get back to training again.

Maybe you should go and see a dietician who will be able to help you specifically to your situation.
Good luck and take care.

Posted by: Kasandra | 2009-03-19

Forgot to say my height 1.52 my weight 49kg

Reply to Kasandra