Question
Posted by: Jess | 2010/01/11

FIsh portions

Hi DietDoc,
Thanks for such a useful blog and excellent articles!

I was just wondering about portion size and saw in the food portion article on this site that a meat portion is 30g. How many portions shuold a 26 year old female consume per day? I' m not overweight, though have noticed my weight creeping up as i' ve goten older and am trying to just eat a healthy balanced diet to prevent too much spread! I have quite a large appetite. At the moment I' ll have a tin of tuna for lunch. with some veg and bread. does that seem excessive?

thanks and keep well,
Jess

Dear Jess
Thank you for your kind words. Generally speaking adult men and women only require 56 g of protein per day, and high-protein foods like meat and fish contain 7g of protein per portion of 30g. Thus if you have 1-2 portions of meat or fish or 1 egg per meal plus other sources of protein such as legumes, milk and dairy products, then having not more than 50g of the high-protein foods per meal is more than adequate to provide for your needs. Have 50g of tuna for example, instead of the whole tin. Protein foods as such are not particularly fattening, but some like meat contain high levels of fat which is fattening. So choose low-fat varieties and don't add additional fat during preparation or serving.

1

Dear Jess