Question
Posted by: Steve McVeigh | 2010/12/08

FISH OIL

Greetings - I have been asked about the quality of the oil in snoek heads by an elderly friend. How does this oil compare with general omega 3 oils? Steve.

Dear Steve
The oil in so-called oily fish such as snoek, mackerel, salmon, etc, is rich in omega-3 fatty acids. The omega-3 capsules on sale at the chemist are usually extracted from salmon oil, so eating fatty fish, including various parts of snoek, will also provide omega-3. The SA Food Tables do not list the omega-3 fatty acid content of snoek heads, so I can't give you actual values for the purpose of comparison. Research has, however, shown that eating fatty fish 2-3 times a week has a protective effect on heart health and a wide range of other conditions because of the high omega-3 fatty acid content of this type of fish.

1

Dear Steve