Posted by: Cynthia | 2009-07-09

Fish for kids

Pls help

For the life of me - my 10 years old daughter will not eat fish in any form whatsoever.

Any suggestions to introduce them without a battle?

Dear Cynthia
Children may take a long time to get used to eating certain foods. In the case of fish it could be the taste or the texture or the fact that some fish have bones that is putting her off. Ask your daughter to explain what it is about fish that she so dislikes. If it is the taste then you can disguise the taste by adding a curry or sweet and sour sauce. If it is the texture you may find that she will eat fish cakes. If she dislikes bones in fish, try giving her canned fish such as tuna or pilchards. An very tasty dish which my family likes in summer, is to chop 1/4 onion and 1 gherkin finely in a food processor. Add a whole can of pilchards in tomato sauce, 1/2 cup of mayonnaise or low-oil salad dressing, 1/2 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce and salt and pepper to taste. Serve cold on toast with a salad.
Hope this helps