Question
Posted by: L | 2010/07/12

First visit to dietician

Hi doc, I have decided to follow your advice and contact a dietician for my IBS which seems to be getting worse daily, everything I eat seems to be making it worse, what should I expect form my first visit? I am also about 20kg overweight - will the dietician give me a plan that will lead me to loose weight and make me feel better? Is she going to do bloodtest to see check insulin or other factors (like the IBS) that can make it difficult to lose weight? I have never been to a dietician so I dont know what to expect. Will she ask me what I like eating or will she just draw up a plan that I need to follow? I hate provitas and bovril and any diet that contains them I wont last 3 days!

Dear L
The approach of the dietitian you are going to see depends on the individual. However, in general terms, dietitians will take a medical history to find out what conditions you suffer from and also check your weight, height and body fat%. The dietitian may decide that she first wants to address your IBS and work out an individual diet plan for you, or provide you with a combined IBS and slimming diet which will be based on your likes, dislikes, cultural food preferences, medical conditions, etc. Be sure to tell her what you dislike eating and ask her ALL the questions you need to know (make a list before you visit the dietitian so that you don't forget any of the important points). If the dietitian decides that you also need some medical treatment for your IBS (antispasmodics, etc) then she may refer you to a doctor.
I am holding thumbs that you will at last get the correct treatment for your IBS so that you can face life and sort out your overweight.

1

Dear L