Question
Posted by: Kat | 2011/05/23

First Pregnancy at 40

I have just turned 40, my partner is 32 and has a child. I want to know the possibility of falling pregnant - I have been on the pill for many years. How long before conception can happen after stoppage? Risks? We''''re both healthy, I dont smoke or drink and go to the gym 5 times a week though I am about 10kg overweight. Any tips?

Most women do not fall pregnant in the 3 months after stopping the Pill, but thereafter your chances are the same as if you had not been on the Pill.The main risk at your age is of Down syndrome, although diabetes and high blood pressure would also be increased.

1