Posted by: Gogga | 2008-12-14

first food for foster kittens

Dear Cybervet

My sister fosters rescued kittens for a local charity. Some of them are about 4 weeks old and haven' t eaten solid food before. Vet recommended starting them on Hill' s Kitten or Hills AD if they are thin and weak. Problem is that most of them get diarrhea straight away, despite getting probiotic powder on their food too. Is there any other food you can recommend that would be easier for them to digest? I suspect the Hills is too rich, although it' s great for older kittens. Most of them don' t want kitty milk, they go for the solid food offered to them.
Would appreciate any advice.

Dear Gogga

Try Royal Canin Baby Cat.

Posted by: Gogga | 2008-12-16

Thanks everyone. We usually mix RC Baby Cat with the wet food later to get them used to eating dry food. But they won' t eat dry food right away, they' re just babies who still have to learn to eat instead of sucking the food up.
The Hills ID seems to be doing the trick though, thanks!
AD was probably too rich, it looks like liver pate.

Reply to Gogga
Posted by: Carol | 2008-12-15

I think its the Hills ID .. the AD is a food especially fro severe malnutrition and injured and invalid cats.

Whiskas would probably also work , but try CV suggestion ...

Reply to Carol
Posted by: Gogga | 2008-12-15

Carol, would that be Hills ID? I think she' s trying that now after taking them to the vet. I' ve been looking for Pamper kitten in the local shops but couldn' t find any. My kittens liked Whiskas Kitten pouches, but they were older when I adopted them.

Reply to Gogga
Posted by: Carol | 2008-12-14

Hills makes a food for sensitive tummies...try that and then slowly wean them onto the hills kitten.

Hills in probablt the best kitten food there is IMO .. but it will cause upset tummies in kitties taht arent used to it.

I also use the pamper kitten thats a mild food which is well tolerated ..once again .. try it and then wean them slowly onto the hills.

Reply to Carol