Question
Posted by: Annelize | 2012-12-04

First Aid Kit for Overseas Travel

Dear CyberDoc,

What precautionary medications should I take with me when travelling overseas? I will be visiting the Middle East (Dubai and Egypt - Nile River Cruise), in two weeks time.

Also, I suffer from Multiple Sclerosis of the Relapsing Remitting type. Should I take oral cortisone (Prednison tablets) with me for just in case?

Annelize

Annelize

Yes, you should take oral cortisone in case you have an attack. You can consult a travel clinic for advice on necessary vaccines. You can also consult your doctor for a course of oral antibiotics to use if you contract bacterial food poisoning from poorly prepared food. Bacterial food poisoning usually presents with diarrhoea lasting longer than three in conjunction with a fever. Consult your pharmacist for medication to treat acute pain, nausea and an acute upset tummy. Always consume bottled water and eat well prepared food.