Question
Posted by: Kelly | 2011/01/07

Firm Up Excercises

I am in my early 40''s. I am slim. I would like to know what is the best excersise to do to firm up but not lose weight. Was thinking about joining a gym or maybe yoga.

Dear Kelly
These 2 types of exercise differ a great deal: a) Yoga is wonderful for helping you to become supple and for relaxing, so if you feel that you would also benefit from this then you will have to decide which type of exercise you want to concentrate on; b) Gym exercises esp working with weights and various type of apparatus will help you firm up and should not lead to weightloss. Most people who work-out with weights tend to gain a bit of weight because they develop their muscles and muscle tissue weighs more than fat tissue. So I would think that if you want to firm up then it may be a good idea to join a gym. Explain to the instructor what you would like to achieve and that you are NOT interested in losing weight and doing endless cardio exercises which could lead to weightloss.

1

Dear Kelly