Question
Posted by: Stan B | 2012-04-16

Find the right skrink

Almost 2 years ago I dropped all of my friends out of my life as they were becoming a negative part of it. At that same time I met a girl and we fell in love and lived together for a year. We broke up a few days ago and I feel quite lost and at times just breathless. I would love to have someone to talk to and help process all of this. Someone on the " outside"  as obviously my family''s opinions are influenced by their emotions and these are private things I need to discuss, process and just get off my chest. Would Psychologist or Psychiatrist be the right person to go to?

You are describing an acute reacion of distress at a lonely and sad event in your life. A Psychologist would be the person to see, for counselling and talking this all through. Too many psychiatrists in SA are both not capable or and not interested in, providing basdic counselling, and too ready to prescribe meds, which are not what you need at this stage.

4
Posted by: Stan B | 2012-04-17

Thank you for the reply. Is there anyone you can recommend somewhere between Blouberg and Century City?

Reply to Stan B

Posted by: Stan B | 2012-04-16

Reply to Stan B
Posted by: Maria | 2012-04-16

A psychologist would be the right person. You consult a psychiatrist usually because you may need psychiatric medication which does not appear to be the case for you.

Reply to Maria