Posted by: Kevvie | 2011-05-16

Finasteride vs Dutasteride

Hi Cyberdoc

I have been taking finasteride 1.25mg for 2 years, and the last year 2.5mg. Don''t know howcome my Dr prescribed 2.50mg. Anyway, since a month or two back, I noticed more hair falling out while washing my hair. Looks like I''m shedding like a siberian husky, which is depressing.

I have been reading up on finasteride and came across some articles on dutasteride. It seems that dutasteride 2.5mg has much better results than finasteride 5mg. What''s your opinion on this?

However, it seems dutasteride is much much more expensive than finasteride.

I have also read that dutasteride blocks both enzyms I and II of DHT whereas finasteride only blocks enzyme II ? So iets ...

What is also confusing to me, is that some sites say 1mg of finasteride is adequite, whilst other says 5mg and other claim 5mg has no more effect than 1mg. My question is what about the DHT levels in the scalp, won''t the 5mg finasteride block more DHT than only 1mg?

Your reply will be greatly appreciated.

I recommend that you refer back to the doctor who prescribed the Finasteride. He/she will have more experience with the different products. This type of medication does not have the same effect on all patients. If you have a poor response on Finasteride, you can ask your doctor to prescribe an alternative.