Question
Posted by: MARRIED SINGLE | 2010/02/24

FINANCIAL ISSUES

I am married for 16 yrs,(in community of property) with 3 kids. since I got married to this man, we are going through financial challenges, and he don''t know how to handle his finances, and don''t want me to handle the finances. He makes debts without consulting me, and if I found out along the line, he is more upset than me. We went for counselling, called the pastors of the church, I even went so far as to embarras him in front of family, but still after few months he is doing the same old thing. I also don''t know how they (creditors) can give him loans and debts without my consent. I suggested now that he give me all his accounts, including bank and everybody that he owes so I can sort everything out, but to date he didn''t come back to me and is more upset than me. I am fed up its going on for 16 years now. I taught of changing my marriage contract of the last option is DIVORCE. There is also no communication amongst us, trust as well as honesty. Please anyone I need advise as soon as possible.

Outside my areas fo expertise. Marriage in community of property seems to me usually a Bad Idea, and especially when it involves someone who is a fool with money. Maybe you need a legal opinion about how best to protect your rights.
Rick makes excellent sense

2
Posted by: Rick | 2010/02/24

Financial issues and lack of common sense on his part will certianly lead you down to the junction of divorce, its very common. He shouldnt be able to incur debt without your consent.

I think changing your contract if you can is a good idea, however you are still liable for half the debts upto that date.

Unless the damage is too great and you know that you husband will never change, then divorce is the only option...either you are a spendthrift or you are not. People rarely change.

Reply to Rick

Rick makes excellent sense