Posted by: Marian | 2009-04-06

finally got the " diet"  message

Dear Doc, perhaps not a question, but a remark. For years I' ve been trying all sorts of diets, but everytime failed, because I felt restricted and deprived. And then, in January, after somewhat of a wake-up call about my health, I decided to do four things: (i) not to take a second helping at mealtimes, while at the same time ensuring that I serve enough the first time round - my meals are 95% of the time healthy balanced meals, (ii) not to deprive myself of anything when I feel like it, but to take care, nevertheless, by sharing any snack or dessert I may want to have, with someone else, or to take half of what I would' ve taken before (eg. 1 scoop of ice cream in stead of two  one small Kit Kat instead of the bigger one, etc), (iii) to decide whether I really want that piece of cake or that snack, or whether this time round I can skip it till next time, which was much easier to do than I thought, perhaps because I know there may/will be a next time  (iv) to weigh myself only once a week, and not to be obsessed by it. Since January I' ve lost 5 kg, which is not a lot (I need to loose about 20kg), and sometimes it goes up a gram or two, but the trend is definitely steadily downwards (I keep a little drawing of a graph on my bathroom door!). It may not work for other, but it seems to work for me. Will keep you posted.

Dear Marian
How wonderful to hear of someone who is being totally sensible about losing weight by gradually reducing your intake of high-energy foods. You are a **star** and you will find that you eventually live a different lifestyle and that making the healthy choices is easy.
Do please keep me posted on your progress.

Posted by: Me | 2009-04-06

Marian - I also think I stumbled upon the same message you have learnt and also have finally got it now too. There is no " diet"  out there - only sensible choices, moderation and well most of all, our bodies, which we can exercise all we want to! It' s a good feeling. Keep it Up! You are doing wonderfully well.

Reply to Me