Question
Posted by: anti gym | 2009-01-22

filthy gyms

i have serious problems with the condition of our gyms in SA the biggest one and offender is virgin active. i am sure lots of people has the same issues but just dont express themslve. in pietermartizburg the gym is always hot the aircons never work properly thus the people sweat more and we all know that the time that the germs thrive. certainly the health dept should audit these place from time to time. how many air changes do they have per hour ? how clean is the air that gets pumped into the gym. ? is there any heppa filtration installed? can the aircon maintain save and healthy air temp at peak times?
in general the gym is just filthy anyway. dust is lying thick on the roof supports i can carry on and on. and its not only healthy people thats going to the gym sick people also and they are requested by there dr. to go to gym they cant train in that temp.

so any way ?

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

I haven't noticed that the Virgin Active I go to (very occasionally) is all that filthy, but then it is one of their newest ones!

In terms of picking up infections at gyms, you run a greater risk of getting e.g. flu from touching surfaces than breathing in the air. The best defence against this is to avoid touching surfaces in the gym and then your face, and to wash your hands afterwards; of course a shower is a good idea. And wiping down the equipment before (if necessary) and after using (as many people don't) is a basic hygiene decency. It's more likely that there will be germs and indoor pollution in the air if there are more people in a venue, and if the air is stuffy. I don't know the details of the air conditioning systems at SA gyms, but they do most definitely have to undergo regular health inspections.

I agree with you that the temperature seems to be set too high, and one sweats more when exercising indoors.

I think we should consider doing an article on this...I also get concerned about working out with all the chlorine rising up from the pool...not good.