Question
Posted by: corie | 2010-08-16

fillers

Hello expert. I recently went for dermal fillers to treat nasolabial folds. The doctor injected one filler for both sides (i am 27 and am starting to develop nasolabial folds - it is not very prominent). Unfortunately, i still can not see any inmprovement. The doctor was a qualified medical doctor at a spa, so i cant see why the filler did not work for me. Do you have any suggestions?
thank you

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Corie, thank you for the question and I am sorry to hear that you have not had a good result.

I need to start by stating that the HPCSA (Health Professional Council of SA) does not allow or condone doctors performing medical procedures (cosmetic or otherwise) in a non medical establishment (such as a spa) unless the doctor owns the spa and has registered the setting as their work place.

There may be a number of reasons for not seeing an improvement of the NLF following the filler treatment:

Incorrect placement
Rapid breakdown of the product
Incorrect product used

Typically if the filler has been placed correctly the improvement is immediately seen and if there has been a gradual decline or loss of an effect then either your body is breaking the product very quickly or the wrong product was used.
My advice would be to make an appointment with the doctor so that you can discuss the possibilities for lack of effect. It would help to know what product was used and typically all fillers come with a product identification sticker that is placed in the patients file and I would ask to see it so that one can verify exactly which product has been used. Restylane or Juvederm have a number of different ‘grade’ fillers (or thickness) that respond differently in the skin.

2
Posted by: Louisa | 2010-09-01

I stay in Pretoria and would like to do botox around my mouth area. Can you inform me of where (clinics or beauticians) to start. Many thanks Louisa

Reply to Louisa
Posted by: anti-ageing expert | 2010-08-26

Incorrect placement
Rapid breakdown of the product
Incorrect product used

Reply to anti-ageing expert