Question
Posted by: collete | 2008/06/02

file 13

Hi CS how you? I've been in therapy for a while now but I feel that maybe some people are lifers that are just ill. I seem to be stuck I cant move forward and its hurting me physically and emotionally.I dont see my shrink regulary is that maybe why? Or are some people destined for this behaviour?

SOunds like very vague therapy. One of the things I like about proper Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ( CBT ) is that it doesn't just wander around endlessly in a fog. After the initial assessment, you and your therapist should agree on what the target problems are, draw up an agenda for issues to be dealt wioth and homework you would need to do, and work on it. Sessions would be regular and always progress woduld be assessed, in relation to the agreed goals. Therapy that has no clearly defined goals and objectives, and with iregular sessions, usually is useless.
Even if competent therapy, one may occasionalyl reach a plateau when there seems to be a pause in one's progress --- but then, with a competent therapist, this in itself is something you analyize together and revise the plan