Posted by: Thor | 2009-03-25

Fighting puppies

I have two 7 month old bull terriers (male / female). The female was sterilised a month ago. They are normally fantastic dogs and get along well. Of late they have been fighting regularly especially after eating in the morning. I have noticed its normally only when me or my wife is around. Is this natural, do they need to establish dominance, or is it something I should be paying attention to? Thanks

Dear Thor

Normal for them to fight for top dog position at this age.

Posted by: WR | 2009-03-25

Yes, it is " normal"  as far as that 2 puppies of similar ages will try and establish dominance.
Seeing that the male will normally be the more dominant in the long run - you can start treating him as the dominant dog - and treating her as the subordinate.
Feed them completely seprate from each other.
You can also start discliplining BOTH if they fight in your presence - soing so you (and yor wife) must establish dominance as Alpha' s - if you do it properly, you will show them that no matter what you and your wife are the Alpha' s, and there is nou need for them to try and sort out the rest.
Be consistant.

Reply to WR