Posted by: Le Grizz | 2008-11-09

Fighting Multiple Attackers!!

Question 1:
Is it possible to survive an assault by even two attackers? All these different martial art styles say you have to try and manipulate your opponents so that one is blocking the other. Eventually the one guy is going to grab you and his friend will start smashing your head. I was thinking that maybe one strike against an attacker would be adequate but a friend of mine who works in a security company says that it is not so easy to knock a person out in one go. Even more difficult when somebody else is attacking you at the same time.

Question 2:
This kind of follows from the first question. How effective is brazillian jiujitsu really? Many people have said that it' s great for ground work. But this can only be against one person. In a real south african mugging, you will have at least 2 attackers. So is brazilian jiujitsu just for tournaments or can it be used for self defense.

One of the reasons I' m asking this is that I know somebody that was mugged in his house by 2 robbers. They beat him up. The next day, he died in hospital. As South African citizerns, is there any real protection for us.

Expert ImageSelf defence expert

Hi Le Grizz,

Thank you for posting to the Self Defence forum.
Answer to Question 1:
Yes it is. Your answer lies directly in your question - 'Survive' This has a broad spectrum from knocking your opponents out as you mentioned in your question, to escaping and running away. If you are serious about real world self defense then you need to train to be able to deal with more than one attacker. There are many training methods, techqniues and tactics that my students explore to give them a better chance to survive this very difficult situation. The importantce lies in the way you are going to train this and a strong mind to achieve your goal. Your security friend is right, don't think you will just be knocking people out if you haven't been training to do so, especially under these conditions.

Answer to question 2:
Brazilian JiuJitsu (BJJ) is good for tournaments and for the street. You need a good instructor with a street mindset to be able to show the difference between the street and tournament aspect of BJJ. Again dealing with multiple attackers on the gorund id very difficult. BJJ gives you a great foundation to be able to survive this situation but you will need some extra tactics and training methods to deal with this specific situation.

You are your best hope for protection. The more you train realisticallly and become more aware of your surroundings and how criminals operate the better chance you have to survive a violent crime. Personal Protection starts at hom with yourself!

Please check our Personal Protection section of our site for more details at

Please email me directly should you require further assistance at