Posted by: Sue | 2008-12-03

Fighting infection

My 8 and a half year old daughter managed to stab herself in the hand with a steak knife last night, after having sneaked into the kitchen to " cut"  a plastic coke bottle to make a candle shield for our visit to Carols by Candlelight. The knife had butter on it, so was not clean. i shot her off to the Medicross, where the cleaned the wound etc ad bandaged it - the doc said no stitches as there was alot of swelling, so he wanted the infection (if there was one) to come out. he has put her on antibiotics as well as Penicillin - the one is Flagyl (200mg), and I' m not sure of the name of the other. He also prescribed a kiddies pain killer with an anti-inflammatory in it. Is it ok that a 8 and a half year old take all of this? I' m ust worried that I' m pushing too much medication into her system at once.
The Flagyl she takes 5ml three times a day after meals, and the anti biotic she takes 10ml 3 times a day after meals.

Thanks for the help

Many thanks

Dear Sue
It is better not to stitch up a possible infected wound and the antibiotics she takes are the right ones to use for such a wound. Just give her some probiotics with her food - you can open the capsules and mix with jogurt or cooldrink - this will protect her tummy and prevent diarrhoea. Is her tetanus vaccination up to date? If she feels nauseous it could be the Flagyl - it is not a nice antibiotic to take , makes you feel toxic, but necessary - then you can reduce the dose to 7.5 mg per kg body weight 3 times a day but go on for a few days longer.

Posted by: Dettol | 2008-12-03

I believe in DETTOL. Put dettol in warm water and wash you dauthers hand in it, 3, 4 or more times a day to keep infection away.

Reply to Dettol