Question
Posted by: fevertree | 2008/10/14

fighting food binging

Does anyone have suggestions on how to overcome compulsive eating without going for therapy if possible. I have recently lost 30kg ona strict diet, but now find myself having daily cravings for scones or muffins that I just cannot control. I usually give in and then end up eating 3 scones and 3 muffins. Help?

Dear Fevertree
Firstly congratulations on losing those 30 kg - that is stunning! The answer to your question lies in the 'strict diet' that you used. Very restrictive diets, especially ones that cut out all carbohydrate can cause a type of rebound craving for these foods. To counteract this phenomenon, try eating low glycaemic index (GI) carbs at each meal and if necessary as a snack, esp in the afternoon when your blood sugar levels may be very low. Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI for tips on low-GI foods.
Hang in there and don't undo all the good work you have achieved.

1
Posted by: Christine | 2008/10/17

I had the same problem could not stop the food addiction. My GP and psycologist prescribed REDUCTIL....it is a pill that increase your serotonin levels and suppress your appetite. For people like you and me they prescribe it for 6 months. Day one and two the pill didn' t work for me...from day 3 it worked (maybe my serotonin levels were then higher). It is really the ONLY thing that has worked in my life (and I have tried EVERYTHING).The food cravings are gone. This pill cost more or less R600 and the medical aid will not pay for it. Side effect is that I battle to sleep but I am losing weight and for the first time can control what I eat.

Reply to Christine