Question
Posted by: Shazzy | 2008/10/15

Fighting cats

In June this year a stray cat moved in (we tried to keep him out the house but we could not keep the house locked. He had a big fight with my one cat (both my cats are rather nervous naturally). Since then my cat has been terrified of the stray cat and hardly comes into our house and spends half the night sitting under the car.
I need advice on how to get my cat to relax and feel safe and happy at home again. We have tried to find a home for the stray but have had no luck. We have also tried to give the stray cat some sort of animal tranquiliser but this has not helped as he still stalks my cat.
Someone suggested we put the two of them in a cage in a cattery together to sort themselves out but I am worried that my cat will be scared to use the catbox and end up with bladder problems or that they will seriously hurt each other.
What do you suggest?

Dear Shazzy

Buy a feliway diffuser that will reduce the stress a lot and also has the stray been neutered? Give it more time, things may just settle down.