Question
Posted by: Addi | 2012/01/20

Fighting

Please help I have 2 chihuahuas, male is just over a year and the female almost two years old, she has been sterilized. Lately they will fight for no reason. No food involved or any attension. They will just go at each other and if you intervene the male will turn his full wrath on you or anyone else. they stay like that growling and trying to get each other for 30 minutes and then just go back to normal. Will it help if I get him neutered?

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Addi, it will help to get him neutered, but it can take up to 3 months for the testosterone levels to drop right down. What I feel is happening is that the male is trying to improve his status in the hierarchy. The majority of dogs (whether sterilized or not, but worse if not) start to make a play for their place in the pack at about 8 months. His behaviour of turning his wrath onto people is totally unacceptable and the more he is allowed to do this, the worse the situation will become. Even tho' a small dog, a bit can be serious, especially if he decides to do this to a child!
Aggressive behaviour is not a subject, unfortunately, that can be dealt with in a forum - you need in-house, immediate professional assistance. Look at it this way - would you learn to do something such as scuba diving by internet?
Please get in touch with me at scotty@scottysdogs.co.za and let me know where you stay and I will put you in touch with a professional that can assist you. Thanks Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2012/01/23

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert