Question
Posted by: jones | 2010/05/27

Fifa 2010

I work for this small company. We are trying to create an exciting atmosphere as we draw towards the kick off. We want to be part of the historic event and have fun too. We have so far aligned ourselves to teams that we think will win and contributed R100 each for the kitty for the eventual winner. My request to fellow readers is , could you be so kind to suggest other exciting things that we can do as an office to build that carnival mood . It could be what you also are doing or anything.

I know this is not the forum , but this the only one i know . which forum can i go to for assistance.

Sorry, I'm a disbeliever in the World Cup and especially in the immensely profiteering FIFA.
Last week I tried to buy a new collar for my cat - it was literally impossible to get one that was not a FIFA football collar ( costing some R 20 more than usual, profits, I'm sure, to FIFA ) - why must my cat be forced to choose which team to support ?
Then I hear of a colleague's friend in Durban who borrowed millions to renovate their hotel near the stadium, and last week was told that FIFA had not let any of the bed-nights they had pre-booked, and brought no bookings at all - they're nearly ruined. Then I think of all the schools and clinics we could have built ( or the teachers, doctors, and polic we could have hired ) for all the money spent on stadiums which will be white elements for many decades to come.
Add the BA airline strike, and the olcanic ash potential, and even less people may come than the estmates which keep being revised downwards.
I object, on hearing that all firms are being asked to give people free time off to watch the football ( which they could watch at home in the evenings ) and that government departments are giving generous time of - which you and I have paid for - so people can leave work 3 hours before any game !
Despite falling education standards, schools and colleges are being given extra time off - and I notice many are wasting the limited education time they have with kids playing games and learning football cheers.
Just calculate the reduction in national productivity and national income this all causes. And everyone in football shirts - every one paying a tax to FIFA ? Local small businesses being shut out of the games and their neighbourhoods, to protect the profits of FIFA ?
We've been duped by FIFA, and pressured in celebrating something that doesn't deserve to be celebrated.
SO I feel like Ebenezer Scrooge felt about Christmas - Bah ! Humbug !

5
Posted by: Mel | 2010/05/28

All this truth from an educated man.... how can it be wrong.

I agree with you CS......

Reply to Mel
Posted by: Paul | 2010/05/28

I so agree with CS.

Reply to Paul
Posted by: Cat Lady | 2010/05/27

Hear Hear CS! Im with you 100%

Reply to Cat Lady
Posted by: Maria | 2010/05/27

Our office is cover in flags, balls, pictures, game schedules and all kinds of other soccer paraphernalia. Some people dress up in soccer shirts on Fridays.

Reply to Maria