Question
Posted by: Prianka | 2011-10-05

Fibroids n surgery

I''m trying to conceive a second child for over 2 years now. The RE found a small fibroid in the middle of the uterus and wants to remove it. He says it can interfere with implantation. Is it totally necessary to surgical remove it? And doesnt that cause more scar tissue? I want to have a baby but I''m affraid more damage will be caused. What''s the recovery period?

Dear Prianka

This will entirely depend on the size and position of the fibroid and not all fibroids need to be removed. However from your description it appears that indeed this may be necessary and is generally a very safe and minor procedure depending on which approach is going to be taken. If the fibroid is very close to the lining it can be removed transvaginally by a Hysteroscope and healing is usually very good. However if the fibroid is somewhat more deep seated it may be necessary to do an open procedure, which has a longer recovery period. Perhaps you should look for a second opinion by visiting another fertility specialist and this can give you perhaps a more accurate perspective.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

1
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2011-10-11

Dear Prianka

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

Reply to Fertility expert